Thursday, October 4, 2007

My intellectual heroes

Dr Edward de Bono was undoubtedly the first author that I truly consider to be my intellectual teacher and master.

I've never met him, but his books I have studied quite religiously, with almost erotic zeal.

I discovered his book The Mechanism of Mind, which blew my mind away. The mysterious thing is that at the time, I was completely confused about life, since I had just dropped out of McGill University. I was a lost soul searching for answers. Somehow, Dr de Bono's masterful understanding of the human mind gave me many of the answers I was looking for.

Another intellectual whom I admire greatly is Hernando de Soto, founder and president of the Institute for Liberty and Democracy in Peru. His book The Mystery of Capital is endlessly fascinating and his work in developing countries have made him a hero to poor people trying to find a better path through life.

Dr de Bono and Mr. de Soto are what I call "integral and practical intellectuals." That is, they not only create powerful theoretical frameworks to guide one's thinking, but also teach people how to implement their ideas and theories in real life (hence, "integral" and "practical").

No comments: